Thursday, June 23, 2011

A slightly different post...

I am a food LOVER. It is a huge part of my daily life and thoughts - reading about it, eating it, thinking about my next meal... So, I'm going to take a little detour from the usual "crafty" subject matter, to give a rave review for my favourite restaurant from my recent trip! Definitely a must for any traveller (or local, but I'm sure they know about it :P) in the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area in Brooklyn is "5 Leaves"

It's a sweet restaurant on the corner of Bedford ave and Lorimer st and is always packed with hungry diners, keen for a delicious taste of sophisticated new Amercian cuisine. I had the opportunity to visit twice when I was staying in Brooklyn... well, I enjoyed the food so much the first time that I vowed to go back! So I did :P
For entree on the first visit, I shared the "devils on horse back" - huge medjool dates surrounded by succulent bacon. It was the perfect choice to kick start my appetite! 
The atmosphere was relaxed, with stylish Brooklynites chatting away, while busy servers dashed about readying tables for those waiting nearby. I enjoyed a cocktail while I waited for my main - always a fun indulgence while on holidays! 
For the main, I chose the Amish chicken, which tuned out to be one of the best meals I have ever eaten! A gorgeous, crispy skinned half-chicken was perched on a sweet onion puree and surrounded by lovely fresh vegetables. Sugar snap peas, sunchokes and plump gazed bacon were a wonderful accompaniment to this well seasoned dish. I could've eaten this meal twice, I adored it so much! Poppy chose the House made beetroot ravioli which looked and tasted divine - light pasta and soft filling with a heavenly sage burnt butter sauce. She did have food envy, though!!


The second time Poppy and I visited, we sampled the Home made Ricotta with figs, fresh thyme, sea salt honey and fruit bread. The combination of salty and sweet with a soft mouth-feel of the ricotta was very pleasing! The side of fruit bread added a nice crunchy texture to the overall meal. I would love to have this for breakfast! 



I know it's naughty because I probably should have chosen something new, but I ordered the Amish chicken on the second visit!!! hehehe! Poppy had the same! She loved it as much as I did :)

We were both too full to try dessert, but I am now wishing that we had! If I do go back (again!), I'll be sure to try the Chocolate torte with hazelnut dacquouise, sea salt and whipped marscapone!

Below are some pictures from the gallery on the 5 Leaves website












No comments:

Post a Comment