Saturday, July 23, 2011

Are you a fruit cake fancier?

I am. I think you either love it or you hate it! I am one of those people who look forward to wedding cakes as I know the chances of it being a fruit cake is pretty high! I also love those sultana cakes you got when you were a kid from the tuck shop. I think they were from Top Taste. Anyhow, I am a lover of the fruit cake so here is my tribute to it!*

*My inspiration for this post came from the morning tea at a BrisStyle Info session today on Marketing with guest speaker, Sarah Rossiter. She was very good and I came away with many notes of how I can improve my marketing and PR skills for Good Boy Cracky. Stay tuned for some great improvements! :)

And now... A TRIBUTE TO THE FRUIT CAKE!

First, here is a recipe for a yum boiled fruit cake sourced from the ABC website 
Made by a lovely lady from the Country Women's Association!


 Betty Brown from the South Australian Country Women's Association shared with us her recipe for boiled fruitcake.
250g margarine
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of water
3 cups of mixed fruit
1 tspn bi-carb soda
1/2 tspn cinnamon
1/2 tspn ginger
1/2 tspn mixed spice
2 beaten eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup self-raising flour
Place all ingredients except eggs and flours in a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes until margarine melts.
Allow mixture to cool slightly, slowly beat in beaten eggs.
Sift flours and stir in to the mixture.
Pour into lined tin and bake at 170 degrees Celcius for about one hour or until skewer comes out clean.
Remove from tin and and put into airtight container when cool.



And here is a news article of Percy from the Preston Leader who is a gorgeous old man and a whizz in the kitchen!
"His boiled fruit cake won a blue ribbon and a gold-ribbon championship award, with Mr Dunn the only Preston Garden Club member to have won the top prize over four consecutive years."
The recipe for his award winning fruit cake can be seen in the link above. Percy was taught how to cook by his wife, Hilda. Aww.... bless!

Happy fruit cake day to you, dear reader! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment